Monday, November 10, 2014

Blog #2 The Color of Water

The Color of Water by James McBride is the book we finished as a class. I rate the book a 4 out of 5. It was a really great book but it was a little boring to me. I liked how the other used repetition for each chapter. What he did was have one chapter about what Ruth thought and was her past. The next chapter was then about James life and what he thought in the present. The author really used great descriptive words to really show imagery. I also really could tell how the characters where feeling. It helped me to see what it was like having all the different perspectives of people back then. Also how much all the different races got judged. I could tell that James had a hard life at the beginning cause he didn't know why all the black people were messing with his mother.

It was neat to read what people did back then in the book that you wouldn't expect people to do that today. For example when the store clerk gave James a spoiled milk because he was black. I just couldn't imagine how big of a deal it would have been if that happened today. It shows me how much the world has changed.





2 comments:

  1. I felt the same when the store clerk gave James spoiled milk. I can't believe he would do that to James just because he was black.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the book seemed a little boring at times, because the author used so many details that sometimes it became overwhelming. Overall though, I enjoyed the book and also liked how it gave us a perspective of what life was like in the past with discrimination and people being racist. I thought it was neat as well to read the story and then compare it to now.

    ReplyDelete